You are tired of having to clean the cat litter box every morning when you wake up, and you want to have more free time. Then you should teach your cat to use the toilet. In this article, join PET-CARES.ORG to learn How to potty train cat on the toilet.
1. Benefits of teaching cats to use the toilet
Here are 5 reasons why you should potty train a cat on the toilet.
- It saves you from having to spend time shoveling cat feces every day as well as cleaning the litter box for your baby.
- You’ll save a lot of money if you don’t have to buy toilet sand.
- In your home, your room will no longer smell of cat waste. keeps the room clean and fragrant.
- Preventing digestive diseases when kittens accidentally ingest toilet sand.
- Form the cat a good habit and gradually get it used to the training exercises.
2. How to potty train cat on the toilet
After going to the bathroom, cats have the characteristic of using their paws to scratch the ground to cover up the urine and excrement. Therefore, to teach your cat to go to the toilet, you should train the cat to go to the toilet in the right place first.
After your cat has learned to use the litter box, you can move on to the next step: potty train cat on the toilet.
Step 1: Potty train cat on the toilet
Move the toilet tray into the toilet, near the foot of the fish tank. If your cat is not used to it, you should put it outside the toilet and then move it inside so that the baby gets used to the position.
Step 2: Train the cat to jump on the toilet.
When your baby is used to going to the toilet in the toilet tray, you need to gradually raise the “height” of the tray. Just raise it until it reaches the height of the toilet. This is an important step for your baby to get used to training.
You can use stacks of books, plastic chairs, tables, etc., or any other suitable item to make stairs for cats to climb up to the litter box.
Step 3: Let the cat get used to going to the toilet on the toilet.
Next, to teach your cat to use the toilet, you need to place the litter tray on the toilet seat. Because the toilet seat is quite slippery, you need to use wire or tape to fix the position of the bidet to avoid it tipping over and spilling sand.
Step 4: Gradually increase the difficulty: Cut a hole in the toilet tray.
Replace the litter box with a toilet training kit. This is an important step in changing your baby’s toilet position.
After a few days of getting used to jumping on the tray in the toilet to go to the bathroom, cut a small hole in the center of the tray (about 5 cm in diameter) so that when the cat scratches up the stool, it will fall into the water in the toilet.
Step 5: Remove the toilet kitty litter box from the toilet.
Once the cat has mastered the above four steps, remove the kit and turn the toilet holder so that the baby can defecate directly in the toilet.
3. What do you need to prepare to potty train cat on the toilet?
To teach your cat to use the toilet, you need to prepare the following items:
3.1. Toilet tray
Currently, there are many types of litter trays for cats, from normal trays and pots to closed forms with lids. And the most advanced is the automatic cat litter machine. Depending on the condition and preferences of your cat, you can choose to buy the right type for your baby.
However, to teach your cat how to defecate in the toilet, you should only use normal trays and pots. Since they are small, compact, and easy to move, it is convenient to train.
3.2. A kit for teaching cats to go to the bathroom.
This is an extremely important tool when teaching cats to go to the toilet. With this product, you can easily buy it at pet stores or on e-commerce platforms like Amazon, Shopee,…
3.3. Cat litter or litter
You can choose to buy the types of toilet sand sold in the market, which are good for your baby’s health. It is important to note that you should not purchase a type with a strong odor, as this may cause irritation to the cat, and that you should select a sand with good adhesion.
However, if you do not have the conditions, soil, coal slag, etc., are also good choices.
You can read more: Causes and treatment of fungal diseases in cats
3.4. Sand shovel.
This tool makes it easy to clean up cat poop. Be careful not to buy shovels with holes that are too big.
4. What should be considered when training a cat to use the toilet?
- You need to clean the tray regularly. Because if the toilet is wet and dirty, the cat will be lazy or refuse to go to the toilet.
- How to teach cats to defecate on the toilet is not suitable for babies who are not healthy, are sick, or are pregnant.
- Once you have trained your cat to go to the toilet, you need to leave the toilet door open 24 hours a day so that the baby can use it at any time.
This training will take a lot of your time and effort. There will be times when the cat goes to the toilet in the wrong place. When going out, you should not threaten and punish the baby. Be patient; day by day, your hard work will pay off.
So PET CARES ORG walked you through the entire process of teaching your cat to go to the bathroom from start to finish. I hope the knowledge in this article will help you train your cat to go to the toilet successfully.